Why use Bootstrap?
- Mobile first approach: Since Bootstrap 3, the framework consists of Mobile first styles throughout the entire library instead of in separate files.
- Browser Support: It is supported by all popular browsers.
- Easy to get started: With just the knowledge of HTML and, CSS anyone can get started with Bootstrap. Also the Bootstrap official site has a good documentation.
- Responsive design: Bootstrap's responsive CSS adjusts to Desktops,Tablets and Mobiles.
- Provides a clean and uniform solution for building an interface for developers.
- It contains beautiful and functional built-in components which are easy to customize.
- It also provides web based customization.
- It is an open source.
Bootstrap Package Includes
- Scaffolding: Bootstrap provides a basic structure with Grid System, link styles, background etc.
- CSS: Bootstrap comes with feature of global CSS settings, fundamental HTML elements styled and enhanced with extensible classes, and an advanced grid system.
- Components: Bootstrap contains over a dozen reusable components built to provide iconography, dropdowns, navigation, alerts, popovers, and much more.
- Customization: You can customize Bootstrap's components, variables, and plugins to get your very own version.
Understanding the File StructureYou'll find the following file structure and contents.
bootstrap/ |—— css/ | |—— bootstrap.css | |—— bootstrap.min.css | |—— bootstrap-theme.css | |—— bootstrap-theme.min.css |—— js/ | |—— bootstrap.js | |—— bootstrap.min.js |—— fonts/ | |—— glyphicons-halflings-regular.eot | |—— glyphicons-halflings-regular.svg | |—— glyphicons-halflings-regular.ttf | |—— glyphicons-halflings-regular.woff
Creating Your First Web Page with Bootstrap
Let's walk through the following steps. At the end of the tutorial, you will have an HTML file that displays "Hello world" message in your web browser.
Step 1: Creating a Basic HTML fileOpen up your favorite code editor and create a new HTML file. Start with an empty window and type the following code:
And we're all set! With those all files added, we can begin to develop any site or application with Twitter Bootstrap.
Step 2: Saving the file
To open the file in a browser. Navigate to your file then double click on it. It will open in your default Web browser. (If it does not, open your browser and drag the file to it.)
Please feel free to post any comment or question if you have.