As of March 2014, the latest release of the Java Standard Edition is 8 (J2SE). With the advancement of Java and its widespread popularity, multiple configurations were built to suite various types of platforms. Ex: J2EE for Enterprise Applications, J2ME for Mobile Applications.
This tutorial will take you through simple and practical approach while learning Java Programming language.
To fully understand a new technology, one must understand the reasons behind its creation, the forces that shaped it, and the legacy that it inherits. Like the successful computer languages that came before, Java is a blend of the best elements of its rich heritage combined with the innovative concepts required by its unique mission.
- What were the reasons behind Java creation while we had so many programming languages present at that time?
- Why should we prefer Java?
- What are the prerequisites to learn Java?
What were the reasons behind Java creation while we had so many programming languages present at that time?Before Java emerged as a programming language, C++ was the dominant player in the trade. The primary goals that the creators of Java was to create a language that could tackle most of the things that C++ offered while getting rid of some of the more tedious tasks that came with the earlier languages.
The primary drawbacks of C++ were:
- It is very complex. The learning curve is steep and takes a long time to climb, especially for those who know C or C# or other superficially similar languages
- A large class of errors that neither compiler nor the runtime system is required to diagnose.
- Manual memory management.
- It should be "simple, object-oriented and familiar"
- It should be "robust and secure"
- It should be "architecture-neutral and portable"
- It should execute with "high performance"
- It should be "interpreted, threaded, and dynamic"
Why should we prefer Java?
- Java is Easy to learn
- Java is an Object Oriented Programming Language
- Java has Rich API
- Powerful development tools e.g. Eclipse , Netbeans
- Great collection of Open Source libraries
- Wonderful community support
- Java is Free
- Excellent documentation support - Javadocs
- Java is Platform Independent
What are the prerequisites to learn Java?You must be aware about what is a computer program and what is a computer programming language?
Java Userful Resources
A collection of Java Sites, Books and Articles is given at this page.