In 1995, Sun Microsystems released the first public implementation as Java 1.0. Java runs on a variety of platforms, such as Windows, Mac OS, and the various versions of UNIX.
As of March 2014, the latest release of the Java Standard Edition is 8 (J2SE). With the advancement of Java and its widespread popularity, multiple configurations were built to suite various types of platforms. Ex: J2EE for Enterprise Applications, J2ME for Mobile Applications.
This article will take you through simple approach while learning Java Programming language.
To fully understand a new technology, one must understand the reasons behind its creation, and the forces that shaped it. Like the successful computer languages that came before, Java is a blend of the best elements of its rich heritage combined with the innovative concepts.
This article will cover following areas:
We'll discuss about all the questions so that we could have a good knowledge about Java background.
What were the reasons behind Java creation?Before Java emerged as a programming language, C++ was the dominant player in the trade. The primary goals that the creators of Java was to create a language that could tackle most of the things that C++ offered while getting rid of some of the more tedious tasks that came with the earlier languages.
The primary drawbacks of C++ were:
- It is very complex. The learning curve is steep and takes a long time to climb. For a beginner, it was very to hard to learn C & C++ because of their manual memory allocation and deallocation behavior.
- A large class of errors that neither compiler nor the run time system is required to diagnose.
- Manual memory management.
- It should be "simple, object-oriented and familiar with prior languages like C,C++"
- It should be "robust and secure"
- It should be "architecture-neutral and portable"
- It should execute with "high performance"
Why should we prefer Java?
- Java is easy to learn.
- Java is an Object Oriented Programming Language
- Java has Rich API to provide developer most of the functionality out of the box.
- Powerful development tools e.g. Eclipse , Netbeans
- Great collection of Open Source libraries
- Wonderful community support
- Java is Free.
- Excellent documentation support - Javadocs
- Java is Platform Independent
What are the prerequisites to learn Java?You must be aware about what is a computer program and what is a computer programming language?
Please feel free to post any question or comment if you have any. Also, provide us your feedback that will help us to improve us.